Paros & Antiparos

HOLIDAY RENTALS DIRECTORY


Paros Travel
Journey through Time

5000-3200 BC
The first traces of organized human life in the area is noted on Saliangos, now an Island between Paros and Antiparos; significant fishing centre.

3200-1100 BC
The first settlements develop at different locations on the area. Paros is now the centre of the Cyclades with 3 busy ports: Parikia, Naoussa, Drios.

1100-700 BC
The residents of Paros concentrate in settlements, such as the Castro of Parikia and Koukounaries of Naoussa. Agriculture, farming and livestock develop on the island.

700-480 BC
Parians colonize Thasos Island. The marble quarry at Marathi is at its optimum production. Paros exports "Kourous" and "Kores" (male and female figure statues) from its sculpture workshops. For the first time, Archilochos the Parian expresses through his poetry the themes of life, love, joy and sadness.

480-323 BC
Paros is at its economic and artistic height. Parian marble is famous and in great demand; important art works by Parian sculptors such as Scopas and Agorakritos emerge from the workshops, including masterpieces such as the "Victory of Samothrace" now at the Louvre Museum. The Temple of Apollo is erected at Dilio and Asclepios temple in the south of Parikia. Paros has 50.000 residents and superb marble constructions, including a school, a theater and a stadium.

323- 167 BC
Parian builders work on Delos Island using Parian marble, while Milos Island imports marble from Paros for masterpieces as the "Aphrodite of Milos" (now at the Louvre). The "Parian Chronicle" is written, a chronological table on marble.

167-330 AD
Downfall begins. The Cycladic Islands become a place of exile for the enemies of the Roman Empire.

330-1204 AD
Christianity dominates on Paros. The church of the Virgin Mary Ekatontapiliani (the church of the 100 doors) is built.

1207-1537 AD
Venetian Ages. The Sanoudos Family rules Paros for 200 years now. The family is based in Parikia where the "Kastro" (castle) is built. At the same time the Kastro at the port of Naoussa, "Kastelli" and the castle of Kefalos on the hill of St. Antonios in Marpissa, are also built. Parian marble starts to be exported again, this time to Venice; Paros is again rising!

1537 AD
The island of Paros is destroyed by pirate attacks and their notorious leader, pirate Barbarossa.

1537-1821 AD
Greece falls under Turkish occupation, though Turks don't come to Paros. Parians continue to live in fear of pirate attacks. During the Russian-Turkish Wars, the Russians take over Paros, base their navy on the islet of Agia Kali in Naoussa bay and build army camps, warehouses and a hospital. During the reign of the Orloffs, Paros is the center of the Russian dominance. In 1821, Paros takes part in the Hellenic liberation movement and then joins the new Hellenic nation.

1940-1945 AD
Paros people suffered during the period of WWII. Many Parians resisted against the occupation from Nazi and fascist forces.

1950-1970 AD
Parians emigrating in search of work in urban centers in Greece and overseas as well as onboard cargo ships.

In 1970
A new period of growth and development in Paros begins, this time based on tourism.

 

Antiparos Journey through Time

Excavations on the nearby islands offer evidence of a significant civilization dated from the Neolithic Age. The ongoing excavations on Despotiko with important findings, is a fascinating site to visit.

In the ancient times Antiparos was called Oliaros, a Phoenician word, which means - woody mountain. Its present name dates from the 13th century

During Middle Age it was under the rule of the Duke of Naxos and was obliged to send 30 sailors per year to serve in the Duke’s fleet. During the period of the Somarripas Dynasty (1440) the castle of Antiparos was built.